Sunday, January 20, 2013

things I've learned from my dog...

Bowman


I have had my dog, Bo, for over three years and it has been both the most rewarding and most challenging time in my life.  I love being a dog owner though, and I thought I'd share some of the things I've learned along the way.

1.) Patience is a virtue. Dogs are a lot like children--they rarely do what you want them to when you want them to do it.  Being consistent with punishment and reward while having the patience to stick with it is not easy!  But training a dog has taught me a lot about just how important patience is in keeping one's sanity.

2.) Live in the moment. I've been told dogs have no concept of time; it's why they get so excited to see us when we get home.  They have no idea how long we've been gone!  For some reason, I think this helps Bo live in the moment--he has no idea how long it's gonna last.  He takes advantage of every second someone's paying attention to him.  Every walk is just as exciting as the last one.  The only time he's aware of is the moment he's living in right then, so he makes the most of it.  We could all learn something from dogs about living in the present if you ask me :).

3.) How to put someone else first.  Until I got a dog, the only person I had to make decisions for was me.  I used to hate people who treated their dogs like children, but there are definite similarities in this regard.  All of a sudden, someone else depends on you for everything.  My dog wouldn't eat, exercise or go to the bathroom without me.  I have to take him into account with every major decision I make.  I can't go away for the weekend at the last minute or even go out for drinks after work without first taking care of Bo.  I think you become a much more conscientious, understanding person after you assume this level of responsibility over someone else's life.  Yes, I know Bo's just a dog, but he still depends on me!  I'm still nowhere near ready to take on the responsibility of a child emotionally or financially, but I'm much more prepared since getting Bo.  In my opinion, anyone who wants to have children should own a pet first.  If nothing else, it never hurts to do a test run...

4.) If you're gonna love someone, do it unconditionally.  Bo could care less what I look like, what I do for a living or how much money I have.  The only thing he cares about is that I come home every night and that I love him.  And in return, he loves me unconditionally.  Dogs may be way ahead of us on this front--all humans do is complicate love.

5.) Appreciate the small things in life.  It doesn't take much to please Bo.  Give him a treat, a new toy or take him on a long walk and he's a happy camper.  When did we get so hard to please?  If we all just appreciated the little things more like a great meal, good conversation or a beautiful sunset, we might all be a lot happier.

6.) The importance of a good support system.  I bear the financial burden of dog ownership, but life with Bo would be a lot harder without the support of my family and roommates.  They are constantly helping me whether it be taking him for walks, feeding him dinner, or even cleaning up after him if he gets sick.  And they put up with his fur on absolutely everything they own, his chewing, and his constant begging for food.  Despite those things, Bo's a pretty easy dog to love and I know they wouldn't offer to help if they didn't want to, but I appreciate it immensely nonetheless.  I recognize that everyone needs a little backup now and then.  I'm just lucky I have such a good team behind me.

No comments:

Post a Comment