Saturday, March 14, 2015

Shedding My White Guilt to Grow a New Skin

Before I became a social worker I told people my desire to work for social change was partially driven by white guilt.

Before I became a social worker I said I wanted to be a voice for the voiceless. I wanted to advocate on behalf of marginalized communities.



When I started studying social work one of my first professors told our class we had to get over our white guilt and do something with it.



Now that I’m a social worker I’m ready to take her advice.

Now that I’m a social worker I want to help the voiceless find their own voices.

Now that I’m a social worker I want to work with marginalized communities to develop their own strengths, so they can advocate for themselves. 

Now that I’m a social worker I want to be intentional about how best to be a white woman of privilege working for change.



Maybe the best thing I can do is educate other privileged people.

Maybe the best thing I can do is urge others to be part of the solution and not the problem.

Maybe the best thing I can do is always speak up.

Maybe the best thing I can do is combat ignorance and complacency by always being the squeaky wheel.



I understand working for change isn’t about being angry but doing nothing.

I understand fighting institutionalized oppression isn’t about being well liked. It’s about being loud and persistent.

I understand working for change is about getting comfortable with being uncomfortable. It’s about accepting the work is never done and that I may not see the progress I’m fighting for in my lifetime, but that doesn’t mean it’s not worth staying in the fight. 

I understand that this is a calling and not for the faint of heart. It’s not about my white guilt or wanting to help people. It’s about doing anything else with my life seeming unimaginable.

I’m ready to get to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment